Improve AC Efficiency and Reduce Your Bills
The hot season is here, and soon your air conditioning unit will be your most valuable ally. Unfortunately, this has a way of sharply boosting your monthly energy bills. There’s good news, however: You can save money this summer simply by improving the efficiency of your HVAC unit.
Tips You Can Use
- Use the AC as little as possible. Only turn down the air conditioning when ventilation and ceiling fans aren’t doing the trick, and don’t forget to turn the temperature back up when you leave the house.
- When your air conditioning is turned on, make sure that all of your doors and windows are shut. This keeps the cool air from escaping into unused rooms, or even outside. If air is escaping outside, your system works twice as hard to make up for it.
- Avoid activities that cause indoor humidity, such as showering or washing dishes, until evening when it’s cooled off outside. If you absolutely must, be sure the fan is on and the windows are cracked. Humidity makes any room feel that much hotter.
- The outdoor air option on your AC isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. It simply sucks warm or even hot air from outside of your home into your living space.
- Make sure your AC filters are cleaned or replaced monthly. This seems like a small task, but it may very well be the most important on this list. Some units alert you when the filter needs changing, but even if yours doesn’t, try to do this monthly.
- The condenser is another piece of equipment in need of regular upkeep. Be sure to have it cleaned yearly by a professional.
- Hire a professional to give your system a bi-yearly tune-up. The professional will check on your refrigerant, your air flow, your duct systems, and whatever else may have unseen issues.
For more help improving your AC efficiency this summer, there’s no better place to go than the experts at Climate Master Mechanical Contractors, Inc. We proudly serve Chicagoland and the surrounding suburbs, so be sure to contact us today.
Image Provided by Shutterstock.com
You May Also Like
Why is My Furnace Running Constantly?
If your furnace in Beecher, IL, is constantly running, it could signal that something is wrong. It’s important to service your heating… Continue Reading Why is My Furnace Running Constantly?…
Signs It’s Time for a New Furnace in Burbank, IL
If you have an old furnace in Burbank, IL, you may be wondering when to replace it. Your heating system will usually… Continue Reading Signs It’s Time for a New Furnace in Burbank, IL…
Are Your Windows Reducing the Efficiency of Your HVAC System?
Every homeowner wants to achieve maximum energy savings with their HVAC system. However, your windows may interfere with your system’s energy usage,… Continue Reading Are Your Windows Reducing the Efficiency of Your HVAC System?…